03-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #22
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
this is depressing... for the m3..
I'd disagree. There's 2-3 seconds in a E9x M3 just by going to a square set up and putting on stickier rubber. (275 or 285 square wheels and tires and some RS3's or RE11's) given a 1:40 ish lap times to start with (Road Atlanta for example). The reason I believe this is because I am a PCA, BMWCCA, SCCA, NASA instructor and i've had lots of seat time in various ones. They push bad in stock form, like every M3 except the E30 M3 and the E36 M3 for the 94-95 model years.

Also...

An M3 is a 340-350whp / 260wt car
A Boss is a 390+whp/350+ wt car

They weigh the same, so the Boss has a significant power to weight advantage and even more significant torque to weight advantage.

Laguna Seca Raceway is a good example to get my point across.
That track favors power, big power with it's long sweeping corners. Here the 13' GT 500 beat the 13' ZL1, but on more complex courses we are seeing the opposite due the Chevy's grip and suspension advantage. Point is, cars with more power typically have the edge here.

The Laguna Seca Boss with it's big splitter and X-Brace back seat ran a 1:41.06 to the M3's 1:42.96. Again on a track that favors power we have a 1.9 second difference but the M3 was without ZCP and had Pilot Sport 2's (circa 2004, ew..) compared to the Boss' PZero Corsa's. Doing something as simple as having a ZCP car with better factory tires like Pilot Super Sports or Corsa's even would drastically change the time for the M3 probably by a second or even more. That's a pretty small spread between the two cars

My point, the cars are pretty close given the circumstances. You can't go wrong with either one. Both are faster then the CTS-V they tested in 2009 and have 3-4+ seconds on the Evo/Sti/Nismo 370Z scene with the same driver

Last edited by Onurleft; 03-04-2013 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0