lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
I don't see the point.

Everybody who does any even moderately intensive sampling of these two cars comes up with the same perception. The RS4 just flat feels more torquey than the M3 at low to middling rpm (and low to middling throttle, by the way). I also personally don't remember any soft spot at all in the RS4's torque band.

Near as I can tell, the M3 is faster than the RS4 from any speed to any other speed in a drag race (except off the line).

So what. Either way so what. The RS4 just feels torquey compared to the M3 when just driving around - regardless of throttle mapping.

Bruce
I don't know Bruce. You're saying the M3 is faster, but then you are saying the RS4 feels more torquey. I guess this has been the main point of contention in all of this. I personally don't really care about how one car "feels" with regards to torque compared to the other one. All that matters to me are the facts--if one car indeed has more available torque than the other at any part of the rpm range. The rest is all subjective, and not worth arguing about.

In my book, ultimately, if one is to ponder the need to implement the type of "fix" you suggested earlier for this "percieved" "soft spot" problem, one would better make sure the perceived problem is indeed a fact, or otherwise one would be modding to please one's mistaken senses only, and nothing else, which might be just fine.

As an example: I am glad pilots don't trust their senses too much and refer to the instruments to assess performance variables. Otherwise, 1 out 1000 flights in bad weather would mosy likely result in a crash.