View Single Post
      05-08-2010, 02:57 AM   #12
chaos888
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey guys, has anybody just removed the steel wool/insulation? I heard one of the clips and sounded too 'unrefined' and pushrod-like. I don't like the 'exotic' sound, but much prefer it than an 'out of tune' V8 sound.

Somebody mentioned replacing pipes and leaving 'some' perforated pipes in place; everybody seems to be doing something different, and it's hard to keep track of that. And finally, did any of you actually weld the inner metal layer, or you just welded the outer one? Remember seeing that the muffler has a dual layer of metal; wonder if it's important. If I could weld, I'd probably do it, but am afraid anybody in this town will do a crappy job, and I'd have to still pay them. Stock is perfect for me inside, and almost perfect outside, so no biggie. Just want a bit more outside if at all, hence my question to just remove insulation. Take care.
They're all a little different but I don't believe they affect the sound that much. Periokid wrapped his perforations. I replaced it with solid pipe. Most people left the insulation and the pipe with less/smaller perforations intact. Both external layers were rewelded.

If you don't like the sound of the modded exhaust, I doubt you'll find a solution that's better than stock or an aftermarket one.

I had the Meisterschaft GTS before this. I loved the way it sounded from the outside but it was too loud inside the car. The GTS and the modded OEM sound very similar. The GTS sounds deeper and has a richer, more layered sound but the underlying note is what's heard with this mod.
Appreciate 0