12-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #49
mastek
e36s54, e70x5d
United_States
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elementary View Post
Right.... I'm not the one posting retarded b/c racecar photos.

I would explain but it won't help you.

Actually its not the spring, the shock controls the spring. So if you have a "bouncy" car that means your shocks are not properly controlling the springs.

16kg rear spring is 900lbs which isn't that "stiff" on the e9x chassis. With good dampers 1000lbs+ will still be street compliant, it'll be a firm ride but not bone jarring stiff nor annoyingly bouncy.
You can have a higher rate spring then the shock was valved for, which is the case with lowering springs and EDC shocks (why H&R springs feel bouncy on our cars) and this is the most common case of a bouncy feel on a lowered car. The car rides on springs, the amount of compression and rebound of those springs is controlled by the shocks.
So 80% of the time when people complain of a bouncy car, they have the wrong spring rates vs matched shocks.

If you install 1000lbs. springs over the e9xm3s EDC shocks, your going to have a 'bone-jarring' ride. You have to match springs to a chassis, then have properly valved shocks to match the springs and suspension travel.

These Ohlins will have their spring rate range and suspension travel range.
If you put street rate springs on them (say 600/400) the shocks will have to work harder and be rebuilt more often. The ride will be better then OE as these shocks can handle a wider range of compression and rebound.
Like i said, that would be a waste of talent (like using a helicopter to fly 300 feet). These shocks should be used on the track with proper springs.

Ohlins, Penske and Sachs Motorsport = the best motorsport shock technology on this rock. The 2-wheel Ohlins market is what keeps the bills paid.

Last edited by mastek; 12-28-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0