08-20-2008, 12:02 PM   #144
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyapex View Post
Anyway, the vette engine has more power and torque with dramatically less cost and complication, so in terms of the "only as complicated as it has to be" argument in favor of the M3's brake calipers; the M3 engine loses the same argument dramatically.

I'd rather have a badass engine than brake calipers any day, but that doesn't change the fact that some corners were cut and the M3 nuts can't/won't admit it.

Not to mention, the pointlessness of the OP question of, basically, why doesn't the M3 have as good a brakes as my car that costs more than twice as much?

Well, that question pales in comparison to "why doesn't the a brand new $100k 911S come with a dry sump?" I can buy better brakes than a GT3 for $3,500 for my M3 and it would cost the porsche guys more than 10x that to get an engine as trackable as mine.

What corner would you rather have cut?
I actually pretty much agreed with all of that, and expressed similar views earlier in this thread (post #29). I just wouldn't call it "corner cutting", but would rather use design languages such as "trade-off". I am sure the M3 could have been shipped with a better brake system as there is always a better system to be designed/had. But, as I've said earlier, and as you're saying here, probably more than 99.9% of the folks on this forum, including myself, wouldn't really be able to utilize it fully even on a track. The stock system is pretty solid (but does seem to require some minor mods for track work; I'm tired of my brake fluid boiling and will have it flushed this weekend, and might replace lines and pads soon as well) and you get it for a base price of $56k. What else can one ask for? RED calipers I guess...