View Single Post
      11-21-2011, 07:38 AM   #105
BMWinNorthdakota
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2007 bmw 335i e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by just4kickz View Post
cruiser on the sidewalk? why is there a need for a cruiser on the sidewalk?

a lot of the negative comments come from people out of state who don't understand how much California prides itself on its public education system and the prestige these universities carry not only in the states but around the world. they see this as another Occupy Wall Street protest, but it's not really. this is pretty much a continuation of protests from the years before as tuition costs increased with decreased services.

yes the kids were warned, no they didn't comply, but there was no reason to escalate the situation. i'm glad the students didn't retaliate. this is civil disobedience... and sometimes people have to be martyrs to get a message across. tbh i don't think anything will change when education is not valued by those in power.
How much cali prides itself on its public edu? What state doesn't???? Also, what state hasn't seen tuition increases? Our little university (15k students) up here in ND saw a tuition increase of 10% this year, like we are all being tard bags sitting on sidewalks mad at the world.

Yes there was a reason to escalate it... they were not listening to the cops. When a cop tells you to do something, you should probably do it.. it's that simple. If listening to cops was an optional thing, there would simply be no way to maintain peace and order.
Education is not valued by those in power...? You're hopeless.

The ignorance is strong in this one guys.
Quote:
exactly my point. if you don't understand the issues at hand, why bother posting? just stamping your user name on the thread with this crap just shows that you know nothing about what these kids are fighting for and probably don't understand why this country is in such bad shape.

So the issue at hand is tuition increases.. as you stated in your prior post. Pretty sure all of us college students can understand tuition hikes.

Quote:
the schools are nonprofit. your statement just shows you know nothing about the issue. like i said before, if you don't know how UC's once were... then you probably wouldn't care to research any of the tuition changes that have occurred over the past decade
Again with the tuition increases? Really.

Quote:
free? nonprofit? nonprofits doesn't equate to a free organization. it means that all the money given to any institution goes back to its programs/facilities/employees etc. For instance, the American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization, but they do have paid staff. The majority of their money goes into their programs such as disaster relief and health and safety.

UC school tuition is subsidized by the state and donations. over the past decade total tuition costs have increased but the subsidies have not as much, which means a large percentage of students must fork over more money.

it's becoming more and more apparent that you don't understand.
State problems here. The only time I hear about the Californian government is when it passes spending bills/bitches about its insolvency. How ironic..

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
Somehow you think it is OK for chancellors to make nearly half a million dollar annually while students have to continue to pay fee hikes?

Let's not forget UC Berkeley head coach gets paid nearly 3 million dollars yearly..

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Shit no, I think all gov is overpaid. Including the profs. But I bet their union won't take a pay cut to save programs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I didn't count them all, but when I got to 8 professors making over $200,000 a year by page 18 of 870 in the state's report for UW, I figured there are some over-paid profs. Especially given how often some of them actually taught a class I was in (some were ZERO, all taught by an aide!)

http://www.ofm.wa.gov/persdetail/2011/360.pdf
Compared to most individuals with PHD's ect, they get paid very little.

From what I read... it sounds like you think everyone is overpaid. Both of you need to drop your enmity against people who make more than you...
Appreciate 0