View Single Post
      04-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #30
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
It's a beautiful car the S4 and to be completely frank I miss it more than any other car I have owned to date and that's coming from someone who's owned a couple of S5s, an M3 coupe and the odd Porsche Boxster. Looks are subjective, you either like the A4 shape or you don't, if you do then all those little S model touches just add to the whole visual thing, the same is true for the interior, it's different seats and the optional carbon fibre trim lifts everything above the norm.

It drives different from past S models and this includes the S5 because somehow it feels far lighter on it's feet, with a nose which is much more willing to change direction in an instant which the S5 isn't quite able to do to the same degree. Next is the drivertrain from engine, the gearbox, it's quattro system and finally it's optional rear diff if added, to some the engine lacks the v8 note but it's still very pleasant in it's own right and to many sounds like a Porsche boxer engine as it approaches the redline, it's dual clutch which like all of the breed either add to the overall experience or distract depending on your point of view, the same is true for quattro in that you either like it and appreicate it or you don't but no one will dislike the sportdiff as it really adds to experience and in my mind gels to whole quattro system into a driver's car that most can admire.

It's very desirable but the same can be said about the 335i, different strokes for different folk. I think it will be interesting to see if BMW's suggestions that awd might make it into the traditional M car range prove to be true because it might mean they show more interest in developing an M/Sport verison for their x-drive.
Appreciate 0