05-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by l_taylor View Post
hi guys,
i know a lot of you are really good at photography and i was wondering if you can help me out here. my girlfriend wants to get into photography and i was wondering what is a good camera she could get? can you please list the price too? i know this isn't the cars pic thread but it's her b'day soon and this is what she wants and i've left it till the last minute, as usual , so any help would be appreciated. thank you in advance
1. Does she want point and shoot or DSLR (interchangeable lenses). If she really wants to "get into" photography, you're probably looking at a DSLR.

2. What is your budget? A camera is a very personal decision. Between Canon and Nikon, they are basically equals. One is no better than the other, you just need to decide which one better suits your needs - the nikon is better than the canon at some things, the canon is better than the nikon at some things.

I would suggest a gift card to a Ritz or Wolf Camera. The pricing is fair, and they include useful beginner courses in digital photography with the camera purchase. You'll also get a bunch of free enlargements. Stuff worth close to $1000, and I used all of mine except the class.

The reason I wouldn't buy her the camera outright is she needs to hold it and decide which one she likes better. I use a high end DSLR, but one big reason I prefer it is the size (I have large hands) and the interface. A friend of my wife is an excellent photographer, but prefers a smaller, lighter mid grade camera becuase she has small hands and can't effectively handle one like mine.

Any argument about one brand takes better pictures than another is a half truth. Different technology can take a better picture (full frame sensor vs. crop sensor), but you really have to enlarge a picture quite a bit to see it. Both Canon and Nikon offer full frame sensors, but they are more expensive, and really not necessary for a noob or even experienced amature.

For a noob, especially a girl (assuming she has smaller hands) I would look at the D40x or XTi for a budget, or the D60 or XSi (I think that's the new Canon) if you want to spend a little more. The one to buy is the one that feels more comfortable, and is easier to adjust. They both have the same important features: shutter release, the ability to use manual focus (although both are autofocus cameras), white balance adjustment, ISO adjustment, aperature and shutter speed adjustment, and a hotshoe for a flash. Every other feature is just gravy that gets in the way of learning how to shoot.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0