06-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #24
michaeldorian
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvd.kevin View Post
I have an E90 M3 6spd. This past weekend, I have been wander around test driving RS4. Taking into consideration that this vehicle will be your second car. I suggest E90 M3. This is why...

HP/Torque: Setting aside 0-60 times and black and white specs. In real life, both cars can attain tripple digits speed effortlessly. Which means that both can land you in jail at about the same time. So, power? Plenty to get you a date with local law enforcements. M3 = RS4

Driving Enjoyment: The M3 is a tighter, more responsive car. The steering feedback is precise, firm, very controlled. The RS4 feels a bit more loose and easy. However, driving the RS4 feels like you're driving on velcro. I thought my M3 grips the road well, WOW, the RS4 is even better. Quattro, what do you expects?
The M3 requires you to drive it. Definitely not a fun car if you simply commute in it. Though it can be use as a daily driver, I think the RS4 is much easier to live with as a daily driver, but it's not as fun as a M3. RS4 is a better DD because the 6spd is AMAZING. You simply have to test drive it to see what I'm talking about. M3 6spd is good, but RS4 is great. RS4 seems to be quieter and more comfortable than my M3. I didn't like the seats on the RS4 because they are wide and the side bolsters are not adjustable. M3 side bolsters can be adjusted to fit you body. M3 seats seem to be design for more spirited driving. I also didn't like the skinny steering wheel in the RS4. I like the thickness of the M3 steering wheel.

M3 - fun, but demands the driver to be involve
RS4 - user friendly, can be fun, but not like the kind of fun the M3 can provides

Just my 2cents. All the reviews in the world can't match the feeling you'll get when you drive the car. ONLY then will you know which ones fits you best. Good luck. Every driver is different. You just have to find out which kind of driver you are.
I've owned both cars and completely agree with this assessment. Nailed it. The 6speed shifter on the RS4 is dang near perfect. If that can be transplanted on the M3, I would have no complaints about my car.

Unfortunately the shifter on the M3 is not it's greatest strength.
Appreciate 0