View Single Post
      09-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #18
kmac1980
Major
Rep
Drives: '19 540xi

Really? so running two wheels off the track is worse than hitting a defined lip pothole in ashphalt (or worse, concrete) at 30mph in the city? I mean I suppose heat is a factor on the track from the brakes? I can understand i you're reffering to running into a wall or something, but i'd think the wheels would be the least of your concerns... I suppose on the track you get a lot more lateral forces exposed to the wheel center, as opposed to vertical forces on the street, i just didn't think they would compare, I mean even if your car pulls 1.1Gs on the skidpad, that wouldnt nearly equate to the weight of your car, plus forward momentum plowing into a pothole. I suppose it's possible though that wheel centers are much strong against their vertical forces than lateral ones?

All I know is I have 2 friends that have bent very expensive wheels in the city, but their dedicated track setup has never experienced any issues.

Keep in mind, I was all along reffering to the wheel barrells, not the centers. I agree it would be scary to know that your wheel centers woudlnt hold up, but like I mentioned before, i havent heard of anyone that has sheared/crack the spokes on their wheel! (which the issue of "shaving" the wheel center pertains to)

I think my point as more to do with that even very expensive wheel manufacturer's products aren't immune to damage (wheel barrells), even some of the manufacturer's that are highly praised on this forum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3V8Driver View Post
To the last two posters (kmac1980 and MrHarris), thank you for your replies. However, you're mistaken if you think potholes cause anywhere near the stress as track driving. In fact, it's a different kind of stress altogether. The problems you refer to are indications that the rim itslef (outer portion of wheel) is weak. But the claim made above about Forgestar is that they machine too much material off the hub. If this is true, it could spell disaster if a wheel breaks there (you could total your car or yourself!) A wheel breaking at a spoke or hub under cornering loads can instantly break apart. At a minimum, you're looking at damage to the brake components, suspension arm and strut, spring, wheel well liner, and likely fender. This is the scary part of going with a new product from a new company. The sellers of these wheels claim they "make great track wheels", however, that claim is simply unfounded becasue it's never been tested (the wheels haven't even been produced yet). Being one of the first customers, I am essentially becoming a tester. Having learned of problems with the 19" versions, I am now concerned about the 18" versions I ordered. This is why I'd like to hear from those above who claim too much material is shaved off the hub. How do you know? What problems have you seen as a result? I'm not interested in bent rims due to potholes... that is not a concern to me. Like kmac18980 said, tracks are generally smooth. It is common to put a wheel or two off when driving on the limit, but it's expected that performance wheels and tires can take it (this is where the resistance to bumps and potholes might come into play).
Appreciate 0