View Single Post
      01-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
bk_g80_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

BBK / Track brake set up advice needed!

I tried another thread but didn't get many responses. I'm looking for brakes and I want some updated opinions from you guys. Here is my diatribe:

I'll first start with my requirements:
  • Brakes that don't fade or overheat during a 20-30 minute HDPE session (beginner to intermediate, I'm a beginner now)
  • Easy to change pads
  • Wide pad selection
  • Fits the apex arc-8 wheel - I plan to get a square set-up
  • Reasonable cost. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay high dollars just to get a brand name. If the cost is justified then that's fine.

So I've been reading the brake forum here for a while and it seems opinions vary widely here. I plan to have street pads, and track pads. I also plan to upgrade the fluid as well in all scenarios. Most likely motul. I've narrowed it down to a few options:

I would just characterize myself as a casual weekend canyon carver, with the planned 4 or so (fingers crossed) HDPEs this year, and maybe a few Autoxes thrown in for Sh!ts and giggles. (Local tracks are Laguna Seca, Sears Point, and Thunderhill) So I'm not going to be driving at a 'racing' level of intensity. Meaning I don't think I need the most expensive race brake out there, unless of course it just makes sense to do that because the cost is negligible.

To me it seems I can rule out #1 since I've seen a bunch of threads where guys have just upgraded the pads/rotors but still hit their limits at the track. Unless that's not true. Let me know.

Anyway any and all opinions are welcome.
Appreciate 0