12-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #36
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James T. Kirk View Post
Ok. I know DCT is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread, but I am having an issue with the timing of the automatic down-shifting.

I just got a new M3 after trading it in for a fantastic 335i. My 335i was an automatic to which I always utilized the sport shifter. The 335i never messed with the gears unless I came to a full stop. The M3 is a totally different story.

In the M3, when coming in hard to make a 90-degree turn, I do all my braking on the straight-away like a good boy. As a I turn the wheel into the turn, the gear indicator on the dash is obstructed by the steering wheel, the DCT throws me into either 2nd or 3rd gear, and I have NO IDEA what gear I'm in when throttling out of the turn.

This is particularly bad when I think I'm coming in from 4th gear and move to downshift only to find out that the DCT has already put me in 2nd and I inadvertently downshift into 1st! The result is a brutal demonstration of my seatbelt.

Can one of you more experienced DCT guys, help me learn how to drive this thing?
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you were in a D-Mode--which will downshift for you--and then you manually downshifted using the paddle or shifter in addition to what the transmission selected for you. (In other words, it downshifted to 2nd, you hit the shifter, it went to 1st--bang.)

So, my advice would be to either let the car shift for you or use one of the higher S modes and do it yourself. Don't use D-mode and then try to shift yourself on top of it. In S-mode the car will finally drop gears if you're going uber slow, but it's not going to do that in a 20-30 MPH turn (unless it's FUBAR).
Appreciate 0