09-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #237
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baremeg55 View Post
Many things are "low" about this concept, but...... I do recall my mis-taste for all those anti-PC ads Apple ran continuously a year or two back.

It is never wise to knock the competition, especially to a smart audience. The higher the stakes in the corporate world you go, the less you would find such shenanigans. You should always sell on the merits of your product, period!!!

Myself, I prefer the iPhone, and ordered the new one. The G3S is a nice phone, to each his/her own. I would prefer all companies market their product and sell the car/widget/device on its merits and features, rather than knocking down what the competition can't do in a biased advert.

It is our society though, one needs to look no further than the recent republican and democratic conventions to witness biased untruths spoken by both parties....

Which would you prefer, adverts on benefits and features, or smear tactics misrepresenting the other product? Do you base your buying decision on a biased ad, or do you research and try to make an informed decision?
The PC/Mac ads never really featured a specific product other than the windows OS. Which they politely encompassed with the term PC. At the time i didn't own any Apple products and felt they were inferior to my PCs. But still didn't feel insulted for choosing a PC by those ads.

Agree that advertising your product on it's own is the way to go for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
A comparison ads with competitors like the Samsung ad above is pretty much admission you're in second place. Same deal with the I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ads, which is why Apple dropped that and focused on the mobile market instead. It's also why you never see BMW mention the competition in their commercials
Correct again. Even if the products doing the comparison ads are a better value or do the same thing for less money they are in second place. Weather it's second in form and function or sold units or both.