M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
This isn't rocket surgery people

I'm also getting a giggle out of putting a "twisting force" on the chassis with a jackstand being a concern, this isn't the first place I've heard this so I'm not surprised to find it here. There's a reason our cars are fat heavy pigs and most of that is the incredible stiffness of the unibody relative to cars made just 15 years ago, and I haven't heard of any E36's falling apart because somebody put one corner on a jackstand...
Are you serious? Do you really believe that our chasses are not prone to metal fatique? FYI, when you have one corner on a jack stand, and you then jack up the opposing corner, it puts a twisting force on the chasis, no matter how stiff the chassis is. I didn't say it actually twists the chassis, but do this enough times, and you'll start to experience new squeaks and rattles. This is true even with race cars, with all their cages and added bracing. That's part of the reason teams retire them after just a season or two, then sell them on the cheap. You won't find Turner or BimmerWorld running the same chassis for three seasons, even if they've never been wrecked.

Last edited by M3V8Driver; 09-21-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0