09-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #38
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Great post and I think the start of a very valuable discussion and learning opportunity.

Omar, would you be able to elaborate on what ESS Tuning does to try and assure consistent performance in demanding conditions?

I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask, but would it be possible to educate us on their design theory of intake manifold, water-air charge cooler, tune, etc?

Understandable if ESS doesn't want to share certain design philosophies, I just thought it may be worth knowing differences and why certain kits have their advantages/disadvantages.

Thanks Omar!
flipm3,

Thanks for the question and I don't think it's inappropriate to ask any question here. I will answer your questions below as best as I can.

Quote:
Omar, would you be able to elaborate on what ESS Tuning does to try and assure consistent performance in demanding conditions? I'm not sure if it's appropriate to ask, but would it be possible to educate us on their design theory of intake manifold, water-air charge cooler, tune, etc?
Lets consider 95+ degree conditions to be demanding conditions and a little over 100 degree on the track. The ESS system uses an air to water system as do many others on the market. Air to air systems do work well on some cars when the car itself allows for it. I believe ESS chose to go with an air to water system on this platform because of a few reasons.. They were able to create a system capable of cooling up to 1000 HP (similar style used on other high HP platforms). This means you do not have to worry about reaching the efficiency limits of the charge cooling. Obviously air to air is much easier to design since air to water systems require a much more complex manifold design and are usually more expensive. (keep in mind ESS does have systems for other model cars with air to air designs)

On an air to air system the size of the intercoolers needed would require you block off air flow to the factory radiators which are already for the most part. Then when you try to avoid blocking air flow to the factory radiator a large part of the intercooler will hide be stuck behind the factory bumper :-/ . When running a front mount intercooler the idea is to get as much cool air ramming into it as possible, without this it defeats the purpose.
Hmm... The air to water system as designed by ESS also required less install time making it more attractive to the consumer.

This is all without getting into the choice of the blower ESS used, the injector size, and other small things the consumer never really considers.

Quote:
I just thought it may be worth knowing differences and why certain kits have their advantages/disadvantages.
Ask away...

As far as their tuning is concerned no need to get into that at this point. Lets concentrate on the hardware of these kits first.

Let me know if you have any other questions and thanks again.
Appreciate 0