12-26-2012, 04:28 PM   #40
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Totally true, people who own M3s and are too poor to also buy a Camaro for drag + an Elise for track + a Bentley for daily driving are missing the point of owning an m3 which is to wash it and look at it! Everyone know that it's a lot more fun doing 12.4 in a Mustang then doing 12.4 in an M3!
Quote:
I'm guessing that going to work with my M3 is also wasting my handling!
The more I think about it, you're right--that's one of the great things about this car, that it can do so many things so well.

Quote:
and where in the rev range do you think you stay when you drag race!?
I get your point here, too, but I'm thinking in terms of engine architecture/design and intended purpose. The extreme of the M3 example would be an F1 engine--very high revving, high-strung, relatively small displacement, and relying on high revs to generate horsepower. An F1 car would obviously be a very poor choice for a drag car. Most people would probably stall it just trying to maintain the revs to get it off of the line and going.

The extreme of the old-school American V8 example would be a big-block drag motor. Immense amounts of torque to jump off the line, and max power developed at around 5500-6000rpm, instead of 8200rpm in our cars, or 18000rpm in an F1 engine.

The M3 does by its nature have to be a compromise, but in its sporting nature I would say that its engine leans much more toward road course/handling/easily-modulated in the 5500-8000rpm range for maintaining balance in corners, instead of toward the drag racing/torque monster end of the spectrum. In other words, oversquare vs. undersquare.

Last edited by paradocs98; 12-26-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0