View Single Post
      04-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #51
Corsis
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 98 ///M3

This thread just about sums up how i feel about the M3. Typically when the M3 comes out, its the clear winner against its highest 3 series family. When the E46 M3 came out, every 330 owner i knew was in awe, and dreamt of trading up for one at some point.

Now with the current 335/135 and the M3 coming out. It seems that its split 50/50 in terms of wanting to switch up to the M3. The fact that there is even a debate makes it clear in my mind that the ///M division missed the boat on this one.

Its a shame too. I tried so hard to love this car but after two test drives now, all i come away thinking is how great the engine sounds. Comparing it to my 98 M3, it feels like driving a Lexus. And i know as newer M's come out they get more refined, but its a real shame thats the case.

I am waiting to see if they can get a CSL version out that fixes is all this.

As for Bimmerloyalist, your review of the car is spot on. It does feel great inside and is quite exceptional at what it does in terms of versatility, I guess i just am old fashioned with my M cars in that i dont need or want them to be versatile, when i sit in an M3, i want to know im in an M3. Sit in an E30 or E36 and right away you know the car is meant to be driven hard.

The new M3 just doesn't invoke that feeling for me.

Oh yea, ///M manual transmissions are always incredibly bad from my experience. Vague rubbery feel and long throws are actually an ///M staple! However the old clutches are nice and firm.
Appreciate 0