10-15-2010, 05:01 PM   #220
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectile View Post
Ben,

I got a 4x4 for the winter, so I am no longer interested in the winter tires that will provide the best snow/ice traction for my M3- on those bad days, I'll drive the truck.

I plan to store my M3, but I am tempted to drive it on good days, including cold days when roads are dry and there might be light snow in the forecast.

So my question for you is: what wheel/tire setup you'd recommend for drivability on good winter days while retaining as much performance and fun as possible (the least "marshmallowy" ride)?
I feel you on wanting to avoid the marshmallow ride. Good steering feel helps a lot when you are trying to enjoy your car's handling.

If you plan to avoid all but the light snow, you could do an all-season tire. Stock 18" sizes with Bridgestone 960 Pole Position or Yoko Advan S4 will keep the must.

If you bump up to 255F 275R you can get the Michelin Pilot Sport AS+, which are a tad sharper handling.

If you still want to have true snow tires, Michelin Pilot Alpin PA2 or Pirelli 240 Sottozero come in 235/40R18 and 255/40R18. Those are some of the best handling snow tires.