View Single Post
      12-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Arrow DIY: Clutch Pedal Spring Removal DIY

Took ace996's instructions and took some pictures for anyone interested. The hardest part was removing the e-clips, but the right tools help.

Tools used:

T-25 Torx Driver
Flashlight
Various Bent Picks

Tom's Instructions
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace996 View Post
I forgot to take pics of this...but my description should be sufficient...it is quite easy.

Ditched the clutch-spring today...about 5 minutes total. You need a little torx bit and something to pull two little e-clips...I used a curved pick.

1. Under the steering wheel, there are three little screws you need to remove, this allows the plate/cover that shields the pedal-innards to be removed. Once they are out, the plate/cover drops down...just watch the wires.

2. Behind the clutch pedal, there is a spring...it looks like a little black coilover...that is what is removed, not the silver spring that pulls it up in front (closer to the driver). You need to use the pick, or something else, to pull the e-clips that are on the left-side of the restraining pins (the top and bottom of the coilover).

3. Push the pedal, by hand, all the way to the floor and push the locating pins (top and bottom) out. This will allow you to pull the top of the coilover out and then the bottom.

4. Put the cover back and install the three screws. That's it.

I've done this to all the cars I've owned over the past few years. What this does is give a consistant feel to the pedal on release. You know how the pedal feels hard at first when you push down, then it gets easier? Now it's just the same feel the whole way down...not really harder...but it doesn't get easier.

The real reason for this... when I release the pedal, you can feel the engagement point much better, instead of the wandering/vague point with the spring. I never feel comfortable with the spring installed, as it feels as if the engagement point is never quite same from one day to the next. Now, the lever release is linear...no change in pressure from one inch to the next.

Depending on how I feel, I may tackle the clutch-stop mod next...

Be good,
TomK

Under the steering wheel you'll find a plastic cover with 3 T-25 screws. Remove these and drop the cover down.

Once you drop the cover down, it helps to detach this connection so you'll have more room to work. I'm not sure what it is, but it comes off easy enough. Just push the tab on the right side and it slides out.

e-clip on the left side of the top retaining pin

e-clip

e-clip on the left side of bottom retaining pin with scratch marks from me trying to remove it

Picks I bought at Advance Auto

This is definitely worth the 10 minutes that it takes. The clutch feels so much more linear. It doesn't pop out at the top of the travel like it used it. If you have even the slightest thought about taking the spring out, do it.
Appreciate 2
Scharbag2619.00
Remonster824.00