View Single Post
      05-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #36
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
Well to be honest beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I personally agree that the GTR isn't the greatest looking car on the road. But then again, I also find the 911 to look like an ugly squished VW Beetle. And I'm pretty sure some people out there would find the M3 awkward looking. It's all subjective.

As for "refinement" and "finesse", I actually cars that are more raw and hardcore. Reminds me that I'm in a performance car and not a luxury cruiser. But if refinement is your thing, then by all means dont get a GTR but upgrade to the alternative, which is the 911 Turbo, for a very small amount of $$$ that would otherwise get you a new M3, or a new fully loaded Cayman S, or another base 911, or a Corvette C7, or a decent downpayment on a new house.

But like I said, some people have money to burn and would prefer to get the more expensive and slower option. More power to them. Personally, the only reason i would have ever considered the turbo over the gtr is the availability of a manual gearbox, but unfortunately that is no longer the case with the new 991 generation.
For me, beyond a certain level of speed capability, I look at other things. As far as a car being slower or faster, once again, beyond a certain point it is superfluous. It is about the enjoyment of the car-driver interface that gives me driving enjoyment. Certainly speed is one element but I find the speed capabilities of even a lowly M3 to be sufficient for my driving enjoyment.

Now, in terms of value, I agree that a new Porsche is a poor value, but that is a different matter entirely