08-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #2
OverDrive
CHEAT TO WIN!!
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
Took the 135i to the dealership to change the differential fluid (did it out of pocket -- break-in change.) They gave me a 328xi sedan as a loaner. Non-sport package, steptronic, leatherette. It was the first time I'd ever driven a 3-series.

It was surprisingly not bad. The handling wasn't anywhere near as good as the 1er, thanks to the lack of sport suspension and the extra weight of the AWD. The N52, while a fine engine, also didn't have the telepathic response of the N54. And I didn't realize how much I missed my 135i's steering wheel until I got back (just fits right - the 3er's non-sport wheel was a little thin.) But overall, if I need a family sedan (or, I'd imagine, a wagon, assuming the handling characteristics would be similar,) I'd take a serious look at one. RWD, probably.

One thing though - the MPG gauge is probably the most useless thing on that dashboard. Don't see the point. MPG can be tracked through the onboard computer if you want to check it. I really missed the oil temp display from the 135i, and am really baffled as to why this isn't standard on all BMWs. (Isn't one of the joys of the N52 supposed to be to be able to zing it up to the redline? How are you supposed to know when the engine's warmed up enough to do so?)

Overall, given the generally cushier ride. I was left with the thought: this is BMW's take on Buick. I'll probably be in the market for this sort of car in the next few years.

But I'm glad my first BMW was a 135i.
you can check the oil temperature through the in-dash display
________
How To Roll Blunts

Last edited by OverDrive; 02-28-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0