View Single Post
      12-20-2012, 10:17 AM   #1
Munit
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

The 3 is truly the 5 series of yesterday

Another thread made me think of how many folks, including myself simply could not get used to the absolutely barge-like feel of the new 5 series. I had an e60, loved it and loved the size. I loved that it was its own platform, it was virtually no heavier than the 3 series with equivelent engines and it simply had a bigger interior. It handled like a 3 series for the most part.

The killer was when bmw chose the 7 series chassis to make the 5 series! That is just a killer right there and I always questioned this and was up in arms myself until I realized I was simply thinking about things all wrong.

The 5 series now is simply a 7 series to all of us who have been with bmw for generations. Its simply a change in nomenclature.

With the advent of the 1 series now, the 3 series is now the 5 series to all of us and the 1 series is now the entry-lvel 3 series.

Part of the problem, like it or not, many people hesitate to buy a 3 series because its the "entry" level car, however that is no longer true and the 1 series has replaced that segment as the entry level, with the 3 really becoming a premium product, especially the m3.

So aside from some who have trouble driving a "lowly" 3 series, most of the drivers simply need to shift their thinking and accept that the 3 series is now what bmw envisioned the 5 series to be in the past.

The new 5 has an entirely different purpose but if you look at the modern 3-it fits the purpose of the past 5 series perfectly. A comfortable cruising car that is more sporty than luxury.
Appreciate 0