Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
I would have to disagree. The extended leather is going to be much more difficult to work with then the black plastic. Have you ever scratched a piece of that leather? It is EXPENSIVE to replace. And being that this is bamboo it is going to show dirt and scratches much more.
I'll take your word for the expensive cost to replace the leather since that experience has eluded me; knock on wood.

The light color is not a problem. There has always been a light colored leather interior vehicle in the garage (usually wifey's), and as much as leather cleaner and conditioner are needed periodically for any leather, scratching hasn't been an issue. It helps when neither pets nor kids with toys inhabit the rides. However, my experience has been that it is easier to work with dirty/scuffed leather than it is repair scratches, dings, dents in the hard plastic. Case in point: Last year, BMW Svc Ctr techs pulled the dash of wife's SUV. When the work was done, it came back to me with a bevy of scratches, nicks, minor gouges on the plastic in various locations in the front seating area. That sort of "collateral damage" has been par for the course where plastic is concerned. The leather, for its part, was not immune to "collateral damage". There were the obvious black marks, even in places that cause one to wonder "How did that happen?" However, with a little work restoration was achieved. Unfortunately, the scars of service remain for the plastic. Regardless, having had a number of vehicles that had black or very dark gray interior surface areas, the way every little spec of dust is highlighted even shortly after a thorough detailing is not a plus IMO. Of course, that's just my pet peeve of sorts. To each his own.
Appreciate 0