04-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #61
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post
Is this a correct way to heat cycle? You just have to drive straight home and can't let the car sit idle/off before going home? I am going to be in a similar dilemma with a new set of wheels/tires (Yoko AD08).
Yes, it is the optimal method of heat cycling. You don't want to let the tires cool down after running on the track and then drive home. That will negate the heat cycle. Ideally, I would mount/dismount the tires at the track, but since I only live 30 minutes away via turnpike (so no stopping), I can drive on them. The idea behind heat cycling them by running on them is two-fold; first, you scrub off the resins left on the rubber when the tires are released from the mold (AKA releasing agent). Secondly, you bring them up to the exact temperature you want them to perform at. So, to go from ambient to hot-lap temp and then back to ambient is a perfect heat cycle. However, you should not use them again until AT LEAST 24 hours later. Hope this helps. I believe TireRack has more info on this subject on their website. They offer heat cycling service for r-comp tires, but their method isn't quite as effective, nor is it as much fun