07-15-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
SukSqueezeBangBlo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by landaishan View Post
Yeah I definitely agree and that was what I noticed in the other peoples pictures as well. There's a silver plastic clip on the base of the M5 knob, after you cut the plastic ring off from around the wires, the silver plastic clip will still protrude. I broke the end of the clip taking the plastic ring off from around the wires, and I left the rest of it sticking out still. I think that makes my cable tie even bulkier than it needs to be and you should be able to cut that plastic clip off completely. I'm about 99% sure it has nothing to do with the way that the knob attaches to the gear shaft. I'm planning on stitching up the little bit of leather that came unstitched, cutting off that protruding clip from the base of the M5 knob, and using a low profile cable tie to make the neck even cleaner. Yep I'd say in my picture #4, cut off that excess plastic clip on the bottom of the knob for a cleaner neck and less cable tie protrusion.

However be aware the changing the base ring to fit the M5 leather boot is a more permanent type of construction and more like OEM, provided that it sits neatly into the center console trim. The way I've done it, there will always be a cable tie and it will always look like a hack job in comparison. You have the detach the boot ring from the center console and cut the cable tie off before removing the knob or wiring or anything. I'd have to warn mechanics or future owners of that so that they don't tear the wiring in the future.

The M5 knob has 3 plastic clips on the bottom, so you are saying remove all 3 ? I have the main one still(longer clip/arm) and i was thinking of cutting it off to keep it all flat..

True, its more OEM but from what i've seen online the boot never looks clean where it's merged with the old boot ring unless a professional glues it together or you decide to glue it together.

When removing the shift knob most remove the boot first, then disconnect the wiring followed by pulling the knob off.