07-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #43
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
Lots of great advice on going to the track (vs. "tracking" in the canyons). Not sure why this thread wasn't moved to the dedicated track forum where it belongs. I will say I think anyone that takes an M3 to the track without either buying dedicated insurance or making absolutely sure their insurance company will cover it is crazy. Most major ones will not (the "racing" exclusion is old language, now most of them have an exclusion for anything held on a course designed for racing, meaning they could technically deny coverage for an autocross held at a track). I agree the risk isn't all that high, and agree also that car-to-car incidents are quite rare, but I've rarely been at an event where there wasn't at least one serious incident (out of 50 - 100 students), with damages ranging from thousands to full total of car. If you can "walk away" from the car (in the worst case of total loss) or have enough in savings to pay for major repairs, great. If not, insurance should be pretty much a no-brainer.

I speak from experience too. I spun in the wet (in my experience, risk of incident goes up dramatically on a wet track, even at lower average speeds), paid ~5K out of pocket to fix my R32. If you regularly engage in "canyon racing", I also think you are dramatically underestimating potential costs there, in the case it leads to an accident -- out of pocket deductibles, higher insurance premiums, being dropped by your insurance company.
You're running with the wrong group if you're havign that many accidents.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0