View Single Post
      07-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #30
joe@trinityautosport
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 | F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM3 View Post
Food for thought, sure. I think most who have tracked without track insurance have considered the risks. I certainly have.

Seems that one of the biggest misconceptions on the part of those who have never participated is that a track day is inevitably where crazy happens. Where people and their cars are just barely in control, pushed to the brink of disaster at every turn. You're lucky to emerge without damage. It's a RACE track after all...

The truth is, for the most part your risk factor is controlled by you, and that unlike a public road, the track is engineered to accommodate cars at high speeds. I've never once felt out of control, or at excessive risk in dozens of sessions at numerous tracks. If I did, well, I'd just pit or leave the event altogether. It's not Death Race.

No doubt that there's an inherent, unavoidable risk in the activity, and that if you don't have track day insurance and have a serious incident you are probably screwed. If that's enough reason for you not to try it, that's an understandable position. It's worth the risk to me though.

As others have suggested, join a track day with a reputable organization, enroll as a novice requiring instruction, don't lose your head, and you'll be fine. If you just can't get over the chance of an incident and the lack of coverage, then purchase track day insurance. I did once when I went to an unknown track with some rather close walls..
EXACTLY what he said.

To OP: If you ever do go to the track don't push it over your limit. PM me. I go all the time. You can roll with us and show you around We are going this Saturday to Buttonwillow, but if that is too far for you Speedventures will have their next event @ Auto Club Speedway in Fontana.
Appreciate 0