08-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #54
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
A car like this technically can't be CPOed b/c of the amount of damage it sustained, which of course doesn't mean that this dealer wouldn't try to do it .

Also, a lot of M3s at dealers aren't CPOed even though they could be. The market for them is soft and the dealer cost to CPO them is high. A lot of dealers that I see don't CPO them to keep the price down, then they can do it later if the buyer wants the warranty and is willing to pay for the reconditioning needed if there is any.
Correct on both counts. Before I found a new left-over '08 last March, which was exactly what I was looking for at the right price, I was looking at BMW "executive cars." I found several I was interested in and inquired about CPO status. I was informed by the dealer that if I wanted one of those cars "CPO'ed" it would add $1500 or so to the price because BMW charges them for that status. It's basically the cost of buying an extended warranty and is a money-maker for BMWNA--not the dealer.

It is also my understanding that any car with accident damage over a certain threshold (basically minor paint, touch-up only), can't acquire CPO status. I'm not sure I believe that system is completely fool-proof, but that is the policy.