View Single Post
      08-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #28
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
All I can give you is circumstantial evidence they start life as factory bearings. Even though a company like Mahle-Clevite may make the factory bearings, the factory and aftermarket catalogs are two different things. Their aftermarket catalog doesn't list any bearings for the S65. Knowing that Clevite aftermarket catalogs can differ between localities (USA, Britain, Germany, etc.), I checked all three. I also emailed Clevite directly and got an immediate response saying that no aftermarket bearings are available for the S65. But even that wasn't enough for me, so I started looking in the Clevite bearing catalogs for other bearings that had the same size and specifications. This would make sure that there wasn't another application for the same bearing. I didn't find anything compatible. Another member mentioned that Pankl might have some compatible bearings, so I looked in their catalog also but didn't find anything. That's where I stopped looking. I didn't go as far looking at Pankl bearings as I did Clevite, but I couldn't find any compatible aftermarket bearings in either catalog.

I don't believe you can't machine them after the fact...but that's not my area of expertise.
Another person asked if you can resize the journal with the crank still in the engine. I believe there used to be away to do this decades ago, but I'm not sure it's still in use. I wouldn't use it. I'm also not sure it would put the correct treating and surface back on the journal. Maybe kawasaki00 can chime in about this.

That's all I've got for you on it.

BTW, props to EAS for offering this service to their customers.

I was hinting at potentailly making the journals thiner and use the coating thickness (though not the most accurate process) to make up the difference and create an OEM fitment.

You definitely did a lot more research than me (me = none), I was just looking at alternatives and thinking outside the box. I am by no means a automobile engine engineer...I stick to the jet engines, quite different!

Cheers mate!
Appreciate 0