View Single Post
      12-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #41
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
...Has driving been reduced just to numbers? I can maybe understand it if we had to go racing for a season and had to choose the car with the slighter edge - however tiny. But for everyday/street/ocassional track driving, which is what these cars are really for, the numbers aren't that important. The fun factor is, and the fun factor is not something that can be measured. So I take these comparison tests with a smile. A silly smile. Just give me the numbers, and *I'll* declare the winner.
No road test done by someone else can substitute for one of your own, but if the authors are any good, then you can get something of a feel for a car (especially in a comparison test) by the verbiage, and a feel for the numbers from the test results panel. However, for me, the best part of those comparision tests in either Car & Driver or Road & Track is the comparison panel that rates the cars in multiple categories. It doesn't matter a bit what the total scores are. Just look at the various categories that are important to you and see who wins. Don't care about trunk space? Fine. Throw it out. Don't care about ergonomics? Okeydoke. It's gone. Fun to drive is tops with you? Fine, it's right there.

There's real value in these kinds of rating schemes.

Bruce
Appreciate 0