View Single Post
      09-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #99
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Do you research, and listen to credible sources (people you know track their cars, with good results). Take what you read on forums with a grain of salt, particularly when it come's to upgrades. Not everyone needs the most trick suspension/brake setups to have fun at the track, especially in an M3. There are too many cars on here with top of the line everything that I doubt have ever seen a track...think about that.

A few things I would recommend for the "leisure" track day enthusiast like myself.

1. Buy camber plates. No ifs, ands or buts here. I made this mistake. Even wear is key to having your expensive tires last as long as they should. ~$500 bucks is reasonable to have your front tires not completely wear the outside shoulder after a few days on track. No fun.

2. Upgrade your brake components. Stainless lines, replace fluid with Motul/Castrol SRF, buy some pads and learn how to swap them. Dual purpose pads do not exist. Determine what you want out of the pad, and do your research BEFORE you buy. Talk to a race shop, talk to another race shop, and talk to your track day buddies.

3. Buy a dedicated set of wheels/tires. If you track more than 10 days a year, I think this is a must. Again, research and ask questions before you buy!!!

It is amazing how well the above mods will take your street car and turn it into a formidable track weapon. You will see a substantial change in your times with brake/wheel/tire tweaks and minimal other upgrades. You can add the supercharger or the most badass JRZ/Ohlins/Moton suspension and I doubt you will see more than a second or two gain on most tracks, if that. Not only are those upgrades costly, but tuning them properly to work in conjunction with everything else on the car is WAY more than most HPDE folks are ready for. Obviously, if you continue to hit the track you will reach a point where it might make sense but for most that day will never come.
Appreciate 0