View Single Post
      10-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #19
regular guy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sprint car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I had yesterday a phone call with my BMW dealer and asked about the 5W30...( because i saw also another post of this oil)
The answer was ...yes on the new ///M turbo engines !
Than again me...and why not for the S-65 ?
This answer was,the ///M development laboratory knows best what oil to use for the S-65 engine,and also..whe (you) guess...but they know !
Conclusion....
So for me only the Castrol TWS 10W60 !
Amen.... +
The BMW announcement leaves no room for the interpretation given by your local dealer. The BMW annoucement says:
BMW Long-life rating LL-01 Synthetic Oils for BMW M vehicles equipped with S54, S62, S65 or S85 engines
This DOES include the S65 (NA engine), and does NOT include the S63 or S55 engines (FI ///M engines used in turbo M5/M6 and upcoming M3/M4). Furthermore, the BMW announcement clearly says for cars in production at the present time (August 2013). That latter clause would exclude the turbo S55 engine in the upcoming M3/M4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I agree here. The 10W60 is for the NA M engines while I am guessing the 5W30 is for the turbo newer F platform engines.
See above. LL01 specifically allowed for S65/S85 engine. S63 and S55 engines (new FI turbo ///M engines) are not mentioned at all, where other specific engines (S65, S85) are directly mentioned. Very clear to me this announcement does not intend to target S63/S55 because those engines are never mentioned; but does intend to target S65/S85 as those engines are specifically mentioned for LL01.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedaddictM3 View Post
what other factors? were the cars abused? the fact remains however that there are dozens of teardowns of S65 and S85 engines both on this and the M5 forums, and they all without a single exception show the bearings in terrible shape and with excessive wear. Are we to believe that each and every single one of those cars were abused?
I track bearing wear causes and photos in this thread.
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892838

I include all engines whether modified or not. But the article which discusses cause and effect concentrates on stock (unmodified) engines, and unmodified cars.
Appreciate 0