11-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #399
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
You maybe right about the horsepower number, my info is two months old. I still believe the number will be lower than 460, but we shall see very soon.

The primary reason the M engineers increased the displacement to 4.4 lilters, was to shore up the bottom end TORQUE. (from the factory output of 295lb/ft.)

This bump in displacement also allows the engine to create additional power without rasing the rev limiter to 9000 rpms which would reduce the lifespan of the power plant.

I was told in August, that the estimated torque output goal was 330 lb/ft., which is slightly more than the new 997 GT3. (the M divisions primary target)

The weight reduction comes from: the removal of sound deadening materials, lightweight doors, lightweight exhaust system, radio delete, lightweight tires and wheels, rear seat delete, lightweight front racing seats, lightweight suspension components, lightweight battery, and a few exterior body panels.(

I did not get the details on which body panels were changed, or what materials they used to reduce the weight.
I'd dump my car in a heartbeat for a car like this.... Sucks that we can't get something like this but the Porsche folks get the GT3RS....

BC