View Single Post
      01-01-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I think you will find that a lot of this difference in either trap times or speed depends on the rubber the GTR is using. Like the lap times the GTR produces, the 1/4mile runs are best done with Dunlop rubber.

In fact all negative comments directed towards the GTR always happen when the car is equipped with Bridgestones and might explain why in the UK at least all 2009 GTRs will be equipped as standard with Dunlop rubber.
Interesting but the choice of rubber should make very little to no difference in straight line trap speeds.
I can understand grip off the line (therefore the ET's may very be a couple tenths) and certainly in handling variations with different rubber but unless one of the tires is like glue and the other spit, road friction differences would be minimal and I would suspect so would tire weight. Therefore trap speeds should by minimally affected by the tire choice.
Any car will have a slight variation between each that will affect trap speeds by say 1-2% but the GT-R's trap speeds seem to fluctuate by as much as 5+% on stock cars. That's got to be mostly because of power variations between each car.

Don't get me wrong, I know the GT-R is fast (I did some canyon runs with them and they could easily lose me as my 335i just wasn't up to the handling task of those cars, nor the straight line speed) but I'd be ticked if I bought a GT-R and got one that couldn't do better than 12.0 @ 115-116 mph when others are doing 11.6-11.7 @ 121 mph.
Appreciate 0