08-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #49
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
I drove the M3 and 335i the same day and wound up buying the 335i. I appreciate all the attributes of the M3 that make it the more special car, but that doesn't make the 335i any less impressive. Actually, it came down to my frugal German upbringing and eating the initial depreciation hit on the M3. Regardless, I'll most likely trade the 335i in a few years for a used DCT M3 coupe.

But I totally understand where the OP is coming from. I just got the Dinan flash on my 335i and while the torque makes for ridiculous mid range thrust, it sort of highlights the limitations of the stock 335i chassis and rear end. Corners come up in a much bigger hurry and you really miss the telepathic tracking the M cars have. I traded an E39 M5 for the 335i, so I have a pretty decent perspective. It isn't that the 335i is incompetent; it just doesn't make love to the road the way the M3 does.
Good to hear your perspective. You definitely have extra credibility having previously owned the E39 M5, which I think is one of the greatest cars ever built.
Appreciate 0