View Single Post
      10-19-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I've been looking to replace my Hayabusa with something slower, more sensible and a little more comfortable. Over the last few months I've ridden all sorts of bikes and one of the bikes that really got my attention was the BMW Rockster. It's an R1150R with some window dressing. I rode it and while it is way down on power from what I am used to the way it handles and the character of the Boxer Twin is really entertaining.

The Problem is that unless you really GOTTA HAVE a BMW, the price for what you get is a little hard to justify. Yes BMWs will run forever, but when you get similar or better performance in just about every way from all manner of Japanese Bikes for less money??? You have to REALLY like riding that BMW...

As for the Rep? Same as Harley in that they do tend to attract older riders, Riders looking for long lasting products with some style and character. Harley, you are buying a lifestyle appliance as much as you are buying a bike. BMW, doesn't really have much of an image, much of a cache here in the States.

Right now I am looking at a H-D FatBob, an R1200R, A Moto-Guzzi Griso, and of all things a Suzuki V-Strom. All are capable bikes, all will last for years and years with little care and feeding. But I'll tell ya, as much as I like the looks of the Moto Guzzi and Harley, and the Ride of the BMW? The V-Strom 1000 puts a big silly grin on my face every time for half... OK Almost Half the money. $9k instead of $15-16K for the other options.

SO, What to do, what to do???? I dunno...

I don't really want another Japanese Bike, but when it comes to value for dollar? It's damn hard to argue with.