09-15-2009, 01:47 PM   #360
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Well I guess we'll have to wait and see. By your logic here it seems that no car in existence should be using a naturally aspirated motor, instead favoring a smaller turbo'd motor instead. While the recent trend is toward forced induction I think it is much too early to say that naturally aspirated motors will or should go away. I'll bet that the folks at Audi know what they are doing and have a lot more tricks up their sleeves.

Like any other performance car the success of the RS5 will be measured in performance compared to rivals and previous generations as well as sales numbers. I strongly doubt the performance part will be an issue. And I don't think emissions will be a factor to most folks in this market. As long as Audi can meet emissions regulations (which I am sure they can) and produce it at the right price-point, it will sell.
The RS5 probably does have less problem with emission than say the M3, unlike the Beemer all RS models are sold in very small numbers. But the problem I see is that when you look around at the very recent models of similar performance that has been launched you see a trend and that is a dramatic reduction in emissions, all 997 with the exception of the GT2 are class leading and as such will appeal to company businessmen, the staple diet of these motors.

I gut feeling is that the next M3 will produce an emissions figure no higher than 230, and as the S5v8 has a figure of 288 it's highly unlikely that incresing it's power by close on 100hp will reduce this figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
By that same token the S4/S5 could or should also use this motor which again I don't think would necessarily be a better choice. The smaller displacement motor will have to work harder to produce similar performance. Clearly Audi developed the supercharged V6 for a reason, and it appears to be a success given the reviews (not sure how sales are). I don't know why they would not choose this motor over the I5 if they wanted a smaller turborcharged motor in the upcoming RS4/RS5. Also, the very fact that the S4/S5 already use this supercharged V6, mean putting the I5 in the RS4/RS5 would almost surely be a marketing mis-step.
I'm a real champion of the new SCv6 but having driven both the S4 and the TT-RS I can tell you that the difference in character between the two is marked, the 5 cyl engine has a rawness that is seldom seen in modern engines. The figures mimic that of the S4 but it's performance feels so much more beef in comparison.

I would normally agree that smaller capacity and being asked to produce the same means more stress but this thing has so much potential it's unreal.

Think 600hp.
Appreciate 0