Hans Delbruck
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: C63, 135i, Evo FE, GLE63

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Hans,

I haven't driven the C63 as yet so this question might sound dumb to those who have or own one but how does it cope with the power it already has?

I just find it absurd to add another 90hp at the wheels without a proper LSD, and even then the torque is sure to take a jump as well. Are you just going to end up with a car which has a dancing ESP light every time you happen to be a little heavy of the old right foot, meaning all that hard work and money invested in the software mods being quelled by the traction control system until it's arrived at a speed which all of the beans can be used to the full (i.e. well above the speed limit).

What a waste if true.
Well, just like the M3, if you floor a stock C63 at a standstill it will spin the tires. If you floor it from a roll, under the right conditions, you will also get a bit of wheelspin. The C63 is no different from an M3 or any other high-HP car. You have to work the throttle "just right" to optimize your traction. Where I feel the C63 can benefit from the software is in passing at say 50-80mph, freeway speeds, under full throttle. As it is now, the car's acceleration under those conditions is very fast and shoves you back, but it is not strikingly brutal. It doesn't feel like my old C5 Z06 did under those conditions... it is just too heavy. It does rocket forward on kickdown, but I want even MORE shove! According to people who have the Kleemann software, that is exactly where they report getting a noticable benefit. Freeway passing.

It's probably impossible to spin the tires on the freeway at 55mph, but it would be nice to have that option

As far as the car's ESP system. If I'm going to be driving fast, I switch it to sport mode. It will let the tires spin and you can power out of corners without ESP intruding.. but, it still can cut in on hard acceleration. If I really want to launch, I switch it off completely. It's best to modulate the throttle for traction yourself IMO. Then again, I'm not a drag racer and not planning on getting into it!