View Single Post
      06-24-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Your smell probably has NOTHING to do with the microfilters man. They're not changing those anymore at 1,200 miles, which makes perfect sense to me, but they replaced them on my car. My A/C smelled like crap before AND after replacing the filters (and yes, I verified they were replaced) when I turn the compressor OFF, but it's fine with it ON.
The bad smell probably has to do with mold starting to (or already) formed in the evaporator due to condensation, and that happens when you don't shut off the compressor (A/C button, not the system) a few blocks before your house. That's another reason I don't like to buy cars with any miles, as when they're used or test-driven, people always shut off the A/C along with the engine, starting this process. And that's exactly what happened to my M3.

As far as what to do, it's not that nasty in my car if I don't shut the compressor OFF, so I won't do anything about it other than what I described above before getting to a destination... and hope it slowly improves. There're treatments that you spray thru the vents when really bad (you'd have to do this on the M3 by removing the filters, which is fairly easy), but it smells like crap and would let your interior smelling horrible for a while. My car is not to that point yet, but if you can't stand it (or if you're getting allergies), you'd have to do it. Hope this helps. Take care.
Appreciate 0