04-13-2010, 11:29 PM   #51
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Since it would be a total waste to spend 2K for a "typical" Monaco GP package many sites offer (some don't include race ticket), I decided to just go on a bigger vacation instead.

It was nearly 700 bucks for a ticket at the harbor. I was dumb to use my bank account instead of a credit card and I was charged another 20 bucks for a conversion fee. I figured I will never do this again, so I wanted one of the best seats in the house. The cheapest ticket is about 100 Euro I believe, but you'd be standing on a hill at Anthony Noghes.

I spent about 1500 on a plane ticket going from San Diego to Milan, then Nice, then back to San Diego. I say Nice because almost nobody stays in Monaco during the weekend except the filthy rich. The cheapest place I found in the city was 1400 a night.

So...

- Monaco GP ticket 700
- Plane ticket 1500. But I think if you only stayed in Nice a ticket can be found for about 1100-1300.
- Hotel is about 100 a night in Milan for a week. We'll be in Nice for four days; I didn't see how much the hotel was. I'm guessing less than 200 a night. Hotel is being split between me and my mom. Dad is going on a motorcycle trip to Alaska in June so he can't afford to go.
- I am guessing around 300-500 for train tickets (Euro Rail).

Take into account I haven't put the cost of a new DSLR I bought, or a Ferrari/Lamborghini/Pagani museum/factory tour... or Ferrari F430 rental... or bus passes... souvenirs... or food...

Before this I was contemplating the BMW Performance Kit or a Dinan Flash. But they'd only be fun for maybe a few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gts135 View Post
$1300 for three silver tickets, $350+taxes for 5 nights stay (at the student residences - they are appts that the kid vacate in the summer - near the Metro but don't have AC), just sleep there anyway, otherwise we live at the track. Airfare is on points and partying - priceless!
I'm going to go lower, and start saving. Monaco 2012 here I come!

You guys actually inspired me to spend money on something else that isnt car, school, or partying related