Thread: Vmax tips??
View Single Post
      08-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #25
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Hi, all.

I just got back from Race the Base yesterday.

I trapped 294kph, but there was not enough runway to achieve VMax, as I suspected.

By the way, anyone who uses the speedometer to gauge their Vmax, is out to lunch. It reads AT LEAST ten percent optimistically. (My 294kph run read 330 on the speedo!!).
A practice run on Friday that read 299kph on the speedo, was only 271kph (and, interestingly, 282kph on a GPS unit I was running in the car).

The car felt absolutely, effortlessly, stable. I could have steered with two fingers. The instructor (required for practice runs) even commented on how it felt more stable than most of the cars he had been out in.

The moral of the story? Speedo is WAY out. Not even worth trying to gauge your top speed from it, I think.

I as using the stock OEM 19" wheels/tires, brand new Michelin PS2s.

I am quite certain the car would have easily gone over 300kph (REAL kph), given enough distance - the runway was 2.4 miles long, which included a (generous) braking zone.

I'll post up some pics this week. The event was AMAZING. Name a supercar, almost, and it was there. Notable absences: Veyron, Ferrari 599.... I'll think of others, I'm sure.

Fastest car was a highly modified Ferrari Enzo, I believe. There were high hopes for a Saleen S7, but he blew his engine.... I wouldn't like to be getting the repair bill for THAT one.
Lots of twin turbo Gallardos with 1000hp+. They didn't actually post up the speeds, which I found strange. They chose to email the competitors with their speeds individually.

There were several cars there that still had speed limiters on them (including a new Mercedes SLS, driven by a woman whose husband entered a lime green twin turbo Muircielago.... wow) - I kinda wondered why they bothered? It would be NO FUN coming down the runway bouncing off your limiter at 250kph...

What an amazing event. I'm glad I went, even if I was FAR from the fastest.