Cabinetman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 GMC Sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista_Vanquish View Post
Here is some real-world perspective for you:

I test drove a 2010 Nissan GT-R this year, before placing an order for a 2011.5 E92 M3, and felt that an M3 was the best vehicle for me.

When I first sat down inside the GT-R and closed the door, my first impression was that the car is BIG. Now, to some the size is probably relative, but coming from an E46 M3 the car felt big. After pulling off to begin the test drive, all I heard were whines, creaks, sounds, etc, coming from the dual-clutch tranny, suspension, and rear differential (I know, this is just characteristic of the car). The noises were not obtrusive but you can definitely hear them.

As I pull onto the expressway, I hit the throttle, the turbos' spool briefly, and then the car takes off! (yes, there is some minor, but noticeable turbo lag). The acceleration is definitely there and the tranny shifts ultra-fast. However, I cannot tell if I am driving the car or if the car is driving itself. Reports of the GT-R feeling like a video game-like experience are all true. The car-to-driver feedback is average at best. It felt like all I had to do is steer, depress the gas, pull the paddle shifter and the car does the rest. It is really hard to make a deep connection with the car.

I also hate that you cannot shift with the shift lever; all shifts are executed using the fixed-mounted paddle shifters. I think this omission from Nissan is part reason why the connection between the car and the driver is lacking. The car handles like a dream, but, again, I really didn't have to work hard to make this car go. Also, you can definitely feel the weight of the car at times; 3800lbs doesn't just disappear when driving the GT-R. It handles its weight well, but you can feel the heft of the car when driving in the twisties. Overall, the car drove well but I just could not make the connection with the car the same way I can with the M3.

Technically, I am financially able to purchase a GT-R, but I can say that I would not be completely happy with the purchase if I did.
I don't completely agree with your assessment of the GT-R. I feel like the steering is more precise and has more feedback in the GT-R than the M3. Also, turbo lag never felt like an issue to me. If it is there I never really noticed and most other cars I have owned have been NA. Actually the GT-R is the only turbo sports car I have ever had. I also like the bite and pedal feel of the brakes better in the Nissan. Finally, I don't mind the paddle only approach at all. I think Nissan did a good job making the paddles large and fixed to the steering column similar to how Ferrari does it. Once I got used to the setup I couldn't see a situation where I would want to used a console mounted shifter in place of the paddles.

I don't really get the video game comparisons to the GT-R. There is plenty of feedback from the chassis and steering just like you would want in a proper sports car. The thing about the GT-R is that its capabilities are so high that it is hard to get into a situation on the street where you feel like the car is about to get out of shape. I found myself pushing my Nissan harder than any other car I have had because it inspire so much confidence and has such high performance thresholds. It is nice to know that the technology is there in case you make a bone headed mistake.

I think you are spot on about other areas of the GT-R. It is a big car. Coming from the M3 it took some getting used to. Also, the car does make some interesting noises. My '11 wasn't as bad as the earlier cars because of added soundproofing, but you could still hear the tranny and diff make some sounds from time to time.

Here is my background for reference. I traded my 2010 M3 DCT for a 2011 GT-R which I owned for about 6 months. I got rid of the GT-R because I came across a deal that was too good for me to pass up on a '09 997.2 C2S. That ended up not being a good move and at the moment I'm about a month away from taking delivery of a 2012 GT-R I ordered in December.

I'm not here to try and change you mind about the GT-R. I just wanted to add another person's opinion to the mix. I would certainly never fault anybody for choosing an M3 over the Nissan.
Appreciate 0