footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
I find it pitiful that the rank and file defenders of Nissan believe that anyone who expresses a shred of doubt about the GT-R Ring times or about the car in general are automatically driveling, drugged, blind fan boys of elitist German car brands. It really doesn't matter one iota what the brand of the car that ran a 7:29 at the quoted weight and power of the GT-R - the skepticism would be abound. You need to face it foot, many of us simply strive for consistency in the world, despite all brand preferences.

Not to mention most reasonable defenders of the GT-R time (yourself included) readily admit the car that did that time likely had at least 530 hp. Making the call as to whether this was cheating or dishonesty, given the factory specification of 480 hp, remains a personal decision for each of us.
I would be the first to admit that I am defending the GTR time and this is based on logic and being level headed. If the car is as quicker if not quicker than almost all of the other cars around the 7:30~32 mark then why assume that it's only capable of a 7:40~7:55 time with the latter being Porsche's suggestion we should all take. Look at the bare fact, the Nurburgring is a very fast track but with most corners cover in either 2nd or 3rd gear and the occasional 4th gear corner. This tracks average speed is similar to Silverstone's only average per car tested and has a similar range of corners, on this track the GTR is quicker than both the GT2 and LP560 but posts a slower peak speed of 10mph less. Littered all round this course is end of straight speeds where the GTR is slower but it's makes up for it in the corners, it's similar on the ring where I might add there is a hack of a lot more corners to make up time.

Next lets go over the actual output of the GTR, it has been admitted to me by a Nissan representative that the true figure is approx. 10% more than quoted and this then brings all the theory and maths work to a point where though still out side the normal expectations of the car it is still not much further away from Audi's own S3 regression figures.

We can all view this excessive increase in actual power as cheating, but as they are all at it we can not really blame Nissan for going with the flow because that would have placed them at a disadvantage just for taking the moral high ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Horst had his shot with a showroom GT-R. He made a 7:50 with a track wet in some portions.
I am expecting Horst to improve this next time out, weather permitting but as Horst doesn't always perform as well as expected, he's a full 9 seconds slower than Audi's test driver in the RS4, similar with the R8 and other exotics we can only guess as to the true potential of any given car in his hands.

I look at Driver Republic's test of both the GTR and the GT2 and see things different to yourself and maybe others here. I see a real possibility that a stock GTR could have approached the time Nissan recorded, be it 3~4 seconds out but that could be made up in production variations or a different suspension setup.

My only hope is that Nissan bring the GTR V-spec to the ring and let all comers in to see it's final testing and weight it, dyno it and be as open as possible. Things I might add that all of them need do.
Appreciate 0