View Single Post
      03-26-2013, 03:11 AM   #78
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

A few more perspectives:

1. Technological innovation is inevitable. There was a time when manual gearboxes offered far superior pure performance than automatics. I remember back in 1981 when my dad had a Saab turbo. The manual was 1.8 sec faster to 60 than the automatic. Todays DCTs are superior performers. In fact, as a lifelong car enthusiast, I always knew that, at some point, transmission technology would develop to the point where a machine and computer would be able to shift faster and produce better numbers than a human being. For those that are hell bent on pure performance, DCT is the obvious choice. This is why you will never see a Nissan GTR with a manual. That is a car developed as a pure performance tool, not one to satisfy other facets of the driving experience as well. And this brings me to point number 2.....

2. Pure performance vs. driving enjoyment. These are NOT the same, although often times we tend to talk and act like they are. Obviously for the enthusiast, performance (by the numbers) is a key element of enjoyment, but to what degree? Is a Shelby GT500 more enjoyable than a Cayman S? On the overall balance sheet, probably not.

Absolute speed capability is only one element of performance (albeit an important one), and objective performance is only one element of driving enjoyment. Driving enjoyment is a sensory experience. In the end, it all comes down to sensory input into our brain that gives us that enjoyment. The more varied the sensory experience, the more enjoyable it will be. That is why looks matter. That is why interior design matters. That is why the feel of certain materials matter. That is why sounds matter. That is suspension and steering calibrations matter. And that is why transmission choice can matter also. It is the same reason some people are die-hard convertible fans, despite the compromises to pure performance that can come with some of those cars.

3. Practicality. As much as I love a manual, my DD is an automatic. Since there is no performance advantage to a manual anymore, it becomes simply a matter of comfort/convenience vs. maximum sensory enjoyment. If my M3 was my only vehicle, it would be a DCT. Yes, my manual is more of a rewarding sensory experience, but the DCT has certainly closed the gap. It is close enough, that I would sacrifice a bit of that sensory experience to have the convenience and comfort of an automatic for daily transport needs.

In the end, you buy a manual for the subjective sensory experience. For the objective/practical aspects of driving, DCT is the choice.

Last edited by LarThaL; 03-26-2013 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 0