View Single Post
      09-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #32
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
First of all, my posts are not focused on getting stuff for free; they're focused on Patrys sharing certain details that could potentially affect people's decision to buy, especially if as I suspect he's wiring things in ways they're not designed to be wired, like removing ground pins to repurpose them.
In my particular case, I do Patrys 6NR installs and swaps in South Florida and I use 100% OEM parts or the install/swap is simply not done. The install must pass the "idiot dealer" test. And so far my installs are supported by two of my local dealers.

Furthermore, I created the only harness for a PnP swap of a TCU for a Combox. Not even BMW has that right now.

The idea that somehow a vendor will be doing some patch work in the electronics of a BMW is -like Tyson said years ago- ludicrous.

Quote:
And second of all, people here DO give out technical and business information for free. There are DIYs posted here that mechanics would charge a fair amount to perform, general information that again a professional would probably charge to sit down and teach you, and some members -- including myself -- are even offering services like coding for free simply because it's not very difficult and we enjoy doing it. As I said in that thread, that doesn't mean that people don't have a right to charge for things, but don't suggest that nothing on the Internet or especially on these boards is free because there's an overwhelming amount of evidence to the contrary.
And if you read a little bit more both Patrys and myself do give out some technical information for free. However there must be a line somewhere as this is a business. And there are complete forums dedicated to coding and retrofits. So it must not be a suprise that only a few people have been able to create a business out of that information.

By the way, I do coding for free as well, not only because I enjoy and learn from it but mostly because charging for using a software that is not my property and much less I paid for it is simply immoral -or illegal depending on who you ask- at least to me.

And coding is not the same as the whole install/swap/harness/update process.
Appreciate 0