View Single Post
      02-18-2011, 09:46 AM   #42
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

To follow up to my own post, Autoblog has indeed confirmed in their "First Drive" article that the A6 2.0T will be the base offering in the US:

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/02/17/2...iew-road-test/

With only 211hp it sounds like BMW has nothing to worry about as far as matching or exceeding the base model's performance. Although, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the A6 is the lighter car.

Incidentally, VAG continues to confuse with a somewhat confusing overall engine strategy. The US gets the 2.0T for the A6, but the base European model is a 2.8L naturally aspirated V6 with nearly the same power. While this is consistent with past European A6 entry gasoline models (a small V6, not offered in the US), the fact that they are now putting the 2.0T in the car too means the small V6 is simply redundant. I think BMW's strategy to develop one engine to cover each desired level output and use it across all model lines and, by and large, all regions make much more sense. There are plenty of other cases of overlapping performance between engines under the VAG brand umbrella too, including I4, I5, V6, V8, V10, and even 12 cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine_us View Post
The A6 does not come with a 4 cyl, how is BMW gonna push the 5 series with the 4 cyl?

They'd be wise not to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Actually, Audi unveiled a 4 cylinder A6 hybrid in Detroit. It will be sold in the US, and will combine the 2.0T with an electric motor. Now granted, this is not strictly a direct competitor to the upcoming 5 series 4 cylinder. However, since there will be no A6 3.2L anymore to serve as a base model, Audi will almost surely bring the standard A6 2.0T to the US this generation as well. It is unlikely that they plan to price the new 3.0T low enough to be able to put it up against the base model offerings from the competition.
Appreciate 0