02-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #107
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardSurge View Post
Agree.

The anesthesiologists, radiologists, cardiologists, perfusionists, etc that I work with are some of the best and brightest individuals I know and in their field. I have the utmost respect for them. That being said, they can collectively do about ~3% of my job and skillset. Partly due to the fact that my training is 2 times that of a fellow-trained anesthesiologist or cardiologist. We face some of the most stressful situations of any profession (excluding active military) on a routine basis.

Let's stop bashing and just enjoy the fact that we can all usually get out of our (flagrant) speeding tickets.
Agree with some of your points. Disagree with others.

1. No question that CT surg is a very stressful specialty. Though I no longer do, I practiced cardiac anesthesia at a major academic center for a number of years, so I really do know.

2. "3%"....not really. You have a highly technical skill as a CT surgeon with regards to your ability and knowledge of grafts, valves, and proximal aortic surgery. Your knowledge of cardiopulmonary physiology, however, is the same as an equally competent cardiac anesthesiologist, or invasive cardiologist. We and they have our own technical expertise. Remember, too, that at least on the anesthesia side, most cardiac anesthesiologists also do other stuff.

3. A fellowship trained cardaic anesthesiologist is 5-6 years depending on whether or not a reseach year is involved. Interventional cardiology is 6-7 years including IM residency then fellowship. Last I knew, CT surg was 8-9 years including GS residency. Longer, yes, but twice as long, no.

Along with CT surg, the most stressful situations in medicine I think are surrounding an emergency c-section for fetal distress. Just as stressful as a blown out mitral or cardiogenic shock with an occluded left main. Seriously. Technically, and equally as challenging in the OR setting is surgery/anesthesia on premature infants. Necrotizing Enterocolitis is a perfect example of this.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is bashing anyone. So yes, while I wholeheartedly acknowledge the intensity of CT surg, there are other situations in medicine that are equally as intense. It's actually nice to converse with people who you have a lot in common with. In this case, medicine and a love of cars !!!!

Last edited by LarThaL; 02-09-2012 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0