07-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #46
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by otoupalik View Post
Well this last weekend at Buttonwillow, 3 stock cars went into limp due to oil temps too high - and these are stock cars. I have not done any data logging further then that on track.
Are you referring to 3 stock E9X M3s here? If so, interesting information.

Quote:
However, YES, BMW engineers the water pump to have an the most effective range at lower RPM. So on track, you very easily could have a cavitation issue. This is the case on every other modern BMW we have data-logged. We will be data-logging on the e92 shortly.
Please let us know when you have the data.

Quote:
Cavitation has nothing to do with straights or turns, it has only to do with RPM.
Yes, of course cavitation has nothing to do with track layout. I know that. But air flow, and consequently, cooling, does. What I mean is that I am concerned about what will happen to my car when pushed hard on a track that does not allow for much cooling (relatively speaking) and oil temperature run high.

Quote:
Yes, exactly. Again, this has been the case on every other prior modern M car (e36, e46, e39, e60). We will be data-logging an e92 as soon as possible, but I would expect it to be the same.
Just to clarify, I am not trying to give you a hard time. I am skeptical with these kinds of things general, and would like to understand the issues and see the relevant data before buying into an aftermarket product. Looking forward to learning about what you guys find out/log.

Thanks.