07-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
Sorry it took me so long to reply. Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.

Goal is just to get into shape and moderately bulk up and get some tone into my muscles. I have a BMI of ~20 with little to no muscle, so you can tell that I'm pretty damn skinny. It's probably too early to put numbers to it, but I'd like to gain 20-30 lbs of muscle.

I'm about 1.5 months into this thing, doing it at a pretty leisurely pace (I hit the gym 3-5x/week).

I've split up my workouts into two separate days:

Day A: Back/Biceps/Quads/Gluts -> this means squats, bicep curls, triceps, rowing, lower back, and a Glut exercise that someone taught me (leg lifts is the name?). I'd like to add deadlift but I'd like to have someone walk me through it in person first.

Day B: Chest/Shoulders/Abs -> that means bench press, chest press, crunches

On top of that, I run 20 minutes (2-3 miles) or bike 1 hr outside (battery park to GWB and back) before each workout.

So far, progress is good. I've gained about 5 lbs over 1.5 months, which appears to be all or mostly muscle. I'm also trying to combine it with an effective diet: turkey or chicken for dinner, pasta or sandwich for lunch, no sodas, no booze, fruits + cereal as snacks.

I'll just add that I've skipped calves/lower legs for now -> my gastrocnemius is pretty solid since I've been running for the past 6 or 7 years and used to play bball.

Any more suggestions, folks? Anything I should add or remove?

P.S. - You're right Bill, Bodybuilding.com is a great resource. Helped me correct my form
If it works for you that's fine, but I'd group my muscles in a different manner. I personally think you can do abs every other day, but it depends on how you want to build them out. I wouldn't do much cardio on your lifting days; a five minute warm-up would be sufficient.

You're basically going to gain some level of fat when you bulk up, but cutting down is much easier when your caloric expenditure increases thanks to your increased muscle mass.
Appreciate 0