01-04-2009, 04:15 PM   #13
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssemerod View Post
mind you, I am indulging in RBV (red bull and vodka). you can read my paraphrasing below or read the actual article by googling electronic or magnetic shock absorbers

it all starts with the ecu. the vehicle has accelerometers located in several places that send data to the ecu in regards to up and down movements of the car. this, in conjuction with vehicular speed, steering angle and possibly other data is analyzed by the ecu which in turn alters the dampening rates of the shocks. less than 10 milliseconds is required for a system response. the sport setting is a control map that makes all adjustments, including the beginning threshold, more stiff , or a higher threshold for shock movement, or technically a lower flow rate of hydraulic fluid.

a lower threshold, i.e. comfort setting, the more fluid can flow, allowing the shock to posess longer travel, or less dampening effect.
this physically happens by way of a motor altering the size of the hydraulic channel.

the magnetic systems in use utilize metallic particles in the fluid, when these systems are actuated, an electric current (up to 5 amps per corner) causes the metallic fluid to become more viscous and thereby limiting the flow through the orifice. these operate 1/1000 of a second or
There have been many discussions to this and in fact the consensus among everyone is that COMFORT and SPORT modes are static modes where the shocks are set to a certain level and left alone while NORMAL mode is the active mode where the system will make constant adjustments, leading to some times the suspension being stiffer than when in SPORT mode. It is claimed that the best times are achieved in the NORMAL/Active mode.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0